martes, 4 de septiembre de 2012

The freedom of religions, the hiyab, the "new" egyptian government, and the occidental culture...

Honestly, I don't like the news about something of the muslim culture in the occidental media. I believe that our occidental eyes cannot translate all details of this rich way of life.

I have written before about egyptian presidential elections, and for me everything was ok in this procedure, including its results. The muslim brotherhood won lawfully in my point of view and nothing can be said against it. (Transition procedures is a different matter, and in this sense, many things can be said to diverge from it).

But yesterday the world press brought a release talking about something supposedly "new" in Egypt: a woman newsreader wearing a hiyab, in a TV channel directed by the government. In many comments (in "El País", "Corriere della Sera", "The Guardian", including in the "liberal" brazilian press), people were arguing why this on TV, or the same argument about "the freedom of women" considering the strong religious regime in that country.

For us, it's really strange to see them with their costumes and habits. For me was kind of "shocking" to see them in Cairo with so many clothes. After many people were looking at me as if I was a real ET when I was wearing a simple t-shirt, I changed my clothes. And... so what? I had any kind of problems with that, and this opened to me many oppotunities to approach and talk to them (when they could speak English). Why we always argue other cultures if ours are not perfect for nothing?

Sorry for this rude words, but sometimes we should apply our fundamental rights as the freedom of religions for other too. The freedom of religions is guaranteed by the First Amendment in USA, by art. 5º in the Federal Constitution in Brazil, by the art. 16 in the Spanish Constitution... but this recognition is valid only for us? I don't believe that people in Egypt are angry with this. This is exactly their way of life, and although the fact that the use of the hiyab is only one of the possible interpretations of the Koran, I don't think it's a conflictive point between egyptian.

If we want a democratic world, it's time to apply our democratic speech. We have to stop trying to become the rest of the world more occidental like us...


Seriously.... is there something wrong with it? I don't think so...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario